Is It Possible to Marry a U.S. Citizen While on a Tourist Visa?


If you are in the United States on a tourist visa and wish to marry a U.S. citizen, it is important to understand the legal steps and necessary procedures. First, it is crucial to understand that a tourist visa does not permit the intent of permanent residency or immigration. However, it is possible to adjust status within the country if certain requirements are met.

Here are some points to consider:

  • Evaluate Your Situation: ensure you fully understand your legal options before proceeding. The intention to marry must be genuine, and you should not have entered the United States with the specific intention of marrying and staying.
  • Legal Planning: Consult with an experienced immigration attorney to assess your specific case. An attorney can help you navigate the legal requirements and procedures, ensuring you are prepared for any interviews or applications that may arise.
  • File for Adjustment of Status: If you decide to marry while in the United States on a tourist visa, you can file for an adjustment of status to permanent resident once you are married. This involves submitting Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
  • Prepare for the Interview: As part of the process, you must attend an interview with USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services). The authenticity of your marriage and residency intentions will be evaluated during the interview.
  • Meet the Requirements: In addition to Form I-485, other documents may be required, such as proof of your legal status in the United States, marriage certificates, and evidence of a genuine relationship with your U.S. citizen spouse.

To avoid legal issues, it is essential to follow each step precisely and comply with all regulations. While marrying in the United States on a tourist visa is possible, it requires careful planning and expert legal advice to ensure a smooth and lawful process.

We at Garcia & Ramírez can help. Contact us today to review your situation and provide an appropriate consultation!